Thursday, February 5, 2009

.....not another ear bleed!

I found myself thinking back to elementary school, I felt as though my classmates thought I must have been a little strange. Not for the clothes I chose to wear or the people I socialized with, but for the music I listened to. I admit there were always those certain songs on the radio in my childhood that I couldn't live without. No matter what song was "hot" at that particular time, I always saw myself running back to the classics. Back to Musicians that were born, created the best music of all time and had passed before I was even a thought in either of my parents minds. I'm talking about REAL music, music that has soul, it has meaning, it was the type of music that can change people.
Realizing that it's February, made me think of elementary school again. Every February we had to do a report on an African-American that did something in this Country that had an impact on us. The regulars were taken without question, people like Malcolm X, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Michael Jordan. I have nothing against any of these men and what they have done and are still doing are amazing things. I wanted it to be a little more personal, a little closer to my heart. All of my suggestions were turned down as if they weren't good enough, they weren't as influential or something. So for this African-American Month I would like to showcase three of the greatest Artist to ever grace the stage (in my mind).
First up is Mr. Marvin Gaye. One of the Kings of Motown. Marvin Gaye like many other great musicians has passed way too early. Marvin had one of the most beautiful, powerful, and soulful voices in the world. Some of the most iconic love songs have been sung by him, 'To Busy Thinking About My Baby', 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough', and 'How Sweet It Is(to Be Loved By You). Come on, he's the man, really. There are those songs when you hear the first 3 seconds, you stop what you are doing and turn the volume way up. Like 'Let's Get It On'. When those first 4 notes play, I almost melt, this is going to be another awesome four minutes and fifty three seconds of my life. There was a week when all I listened to was his album "What's Going On". In my opinion, it sits somewhere within the 5 greatest albums ever recorded. You may not know, but you played at our wedding, Thank You Mr. Gaye.
Next up is the incredible Stevie Wonder. Where do I start with you, Stevie you have been a part of my life longer than I can remember. It brings me back to childhood, singing along with the radio driving along with my parents. People say that when you lose one of your senses, your others are boosted. In Stevie's case, his ears were boosted by ten. How someone can record an album by themselves is unbelievable. The album "Innervisions" was created by this one man, the keyboard, drums, horns, everything you hear he had to play the instrument by itself, then go back and mix each instrument together. For someone to hear a song in their mind start to finish, than know how to play each instrument for that song separately, is truly amazing. Another album that's in my top 5 is "Hotter Than July". This record is filled with some of the best music ever recorded, like 'All I Do', 'Master Blaster (Jammin')', and 'Do Like You'. Stevie Wonder has always played a big part in my life. If I'm ever feeling down at work or wherever, I can play some Stevie and hear my troubles fade away. You Sir also played at my wedding, Thank You Stevie.
Last and by no means least, the greatest, Jimi Hendrix. What can I say about Jimi that hasn't been said before? The first ever LP that I purchased was "Are You Experienced?". I think I was 13 or 14 years old and I must have worn that thing down so much it disintegrated. Maybe why I can't find it now. I could listen to that record all day and night. In my mind, it's the greatest album ever recorded. For someone to release an album at the same age I am now and have such an impact on this Country the way it did, is truly a work of art. 'Purple Haze', 'Foxy Lady', 'Fire', 'Hey Joe', his music sounded like absolutely no other artist back then. For someone to dedicate as much time and love for music as Jimi did, he deserves all the credit in the world. The only reason I attempted to pick up a guitar and try to learn at least one of his songs is because of him. A musical genius, we can see what was created in his short life, I would have loved to see what could have come of him if he was still alive. So Thanks to you Jimi Hendrix, I can't turn the volume up loud enough, I wish it went up to 12.

1 comment:

  1. I know that I tend to listen to many of the classics and I am always wondering what makes a classic stand the test of time. You explained it very well— now let's hope that others see (hear) what you do in these artists and listen as well.

    ReplyDelete